Maine State Music Theatre (MSMT) is in search of a full time/exempt Development Director.
The Development Director position is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Executive leadership of MSMT. They shall perform all Development functions for the organization and also frequently performs shared duties outside of Development, including some areas of marketing and communications. The Development Director works in consultation with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, Director of Marketing and Communications and the Board of Directors.
The mission of MSMT is to produce musical theatre, provide exceptional training through our Educational Fellowship Program and use theatre to enrich, engage and provide live entertainment to the State of Maine and beyond. MSMT brings “Broadway to Brunswick”.
Responsibilities for this position shall include the following:
- Assist Artistic Director with Major gifts solicitation
- Planned Giving solicitation
- Track, record, and acknowledge all donations
- Maintain all Development related data through accurate data entry and ongoing clean-up efforts in CRM
- Maintain and update all donor data and reporting
- Process gifts into our CRM from multiple sources (cash, pledges, matching gifts, and planned gifts)
- Prepare correspondence of bi-weekly gift acknowledgements, send monthly pledge reminders
- Reconcile donations on a monthly basis
- Generate weekly fundraising reports and track progress toward fundraising goals
- Create and maintain the organization’s electronic and paper gift agreements and related documentation
- Update content of acknowledgement and pledge letters, and other donor communications
- Research and report on current and prospective individual donors
- Coordinate production and distribution of direct mail solicitations and mass mailings: create mailing and email lists, mail merge
- Work evenings and weekends for development events; some events are offsite
- Assist with tracking departmental expenses
- Join and Attend local meetings of the Rotary and any organization to help promote/acquire development relationships
SPONSOR and ADVERTISING
- Develop sponsor and advertiser relations in the community and throughout the state
- Procure show Sponsors for each production season adhering to budgetary goals
- Procure advertisers for the program for each production season adhering to budgetary goals
- Procure, organize and follow-up on any trade with sponsors and advertisers
- Write curtain speeches for each show for the Artistic Director which lists the sponsors for the show and that specific performance
- Organize/setup the theatre lobby with Sponsor/advertiser banners, product placement etc.
- Research, build and maintain community partnerships for shared development opportunities
- Create and implement outreach strategies
- Provide support for Grant Research
- Arrange, organize, and attend all development events
- Assist with fundraising and donor events by tracking RSVPs and event set up and breakdown
- Coordinate all spring preview concerts and summer sponsor concerts
- Organize all cast parties, final show party, donor dinners, auction winner dinners etc.
- Organize and chaperone MSMT organized group trips to Boston, NYC, Lancaster, PA and London. Addition trips may be added in the future
- Organize and chaperone MSMT donors, board members, auction winners to NYC trips
- Represent MSMT at community events, functions, trips, and meetings as needed
Preferred candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, non-profit management, communication, related field or real world experience
- Minimum three years of development and/or marketing experience in a management role
- Excellent organizational skills
- Superior communication skills
- Expert attention to detail and accuracy
- A proactive and professional attitude
- Expert attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven success at meeting and exceeding revenue goals
- Proven successful interactions with Boards and a diverse array of community relationships
- Excellent computer/technology skills, especially in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media platforms. Knowledge of Patron Manager or other CRM software a plus
- A spirit of curiosity and tenacity to “get the job done”
- Relevant experience in non-profit fundraising, marketing, relationship management, or related fields
- Ability to manage a budget
- Available on required nights and weekends, especially during the summer season; since some events are off-site, a drivers’ license is required
- Experience in an arts and/or arts education environment a plus
- Finally, the ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong passion for MSMT’s dedication to the company’s principles of inclusion, diversity, equity, anti-racism, and access
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Vacation Time
- Paid Time Off
Please submit a cover letter, employment resume, 3 contact references which includes their phone and email address, and your salary requirements to email@example.com. Post “Development Director” in the subject line please.
MSMT is committed to a non-discrimination policy with respect to the employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without regard to age, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religious beliefs, marital status, familial status, disability, veteran status, political persuasion or beliefs. MSMT complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation and training. The Company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the law.
MSMT is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Diversity and inclusion are core values at MSMT. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all employees and Educational Fellowship Candidates. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $45,000.00 per year
All employees, audience members, vendors etc. are required to wear a mask, and socially distance. Employees are required to be vaccinated before first day of employment. More detailed guidelines are provided in the MSMT Employee Guidelines.