Educational Fellowship Program
MSMT’s diverse Educational Fellowship Program brings 45 young theatre students and early career professionals to the beautiful landscape of Midcoast Maine to participate in a full-immersion program focused on practical, experiential training designed to ease the transition into a professional career.
The Program – which serves to bridge the gap between their education and the professional world – has received national recognition and has been featured on PBS and in national and regional publications. As a CORST X music theatre, MSMT attracts the best and brightest casts, crews, and administrators from Broadway, national tours, and regional theatres.
This intensive program gives those with aspirations of a life in the performing arts the chance to work alongside professionals in their field in three phases of career progression:
- Intern (entry level)
- Apprentice (advanced level)
- Journeyperson (senior level)
“It was like nothing else I’d done at the time. Besides learning the ins and outs of backstage life (laundry, set building, strike), I had the chance to work with professional actors, singers, and dancers from New York City. This is why I really wanted to intern at MSMT – to work with people who are currently working where I was planning on working. It raised our game, giving us insight into the entire process of putting up a show.”
– Lindsay Chambers, Former MSMT Performance Intern; Broadway credits: Lysistrata Jones, Hairspray, Legally Blonde
WHAT TO EXPECT
As a respected professional musical theatre, MSMT provides inspiring Broadway-caliber programming but is small enough to allow its fellows unique access to the theatre’s artistic and administrative leadership. The work is demanding and rewarding; fellows have a full schedule and work together with the staff to meet the demanding deadlines of the theatre’s 12-week schedule. Night and weekend hours are required.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
MSMT provides the following for all members of our Educational Fellowship Program:
- Hands-on learning environment. You will make valuable connections with leading employers in your field, including successful directors, designers choreographers, and performers from across the country, whose credits include Broadway, national tours, and regional theatres.
- MSMT provides free housing for all fellows. Intern House, dorm-style living suites and 22 Elm Apprentice Housing, shared bedrooms located directly above rehearsal studios and the scene, paint, costume and prop shops. Journeypersons are housed in shared apartments with private bedrooms in the vicinity of the theatre.
- A modest meal per diem to assist with daily expenses: $30/DAY (INT), $40/DAY (AP), $55/DAY (JP)
- Performance, stage management, and stage op’s fellows also have the advantage of earning EMC points towards Equity Membership EMC points from working on Main Stage productions, one point for each week (25 Points must be earned in order to qualify for membership in Actors’ Equity Association). We are one of the few companies that offer EMC points and a stipend! All Performance Interns and Performance Apprentices must join AEA’s EMC Program, if not already in the program.
- Complimentary tickets to MSMT productions.
- Coupons and discounts at area restaurants and shops.
- College credit – Check with individual schools.
- Seminars with theatre professionals.
- Summertime activities in our scenic coastal New England town, sponsored by volunteer, MSMT Trustees, and community members.
- Perhaps the most important element of the program is our warmhearted environment! Lifelong friendships and professional connections are started here.